https://www.bobadillamlaw.com/img/2016/11/bobadilla-law-driving.jpg 375 600 norelldesign https://www.bobadillamlaw.com/img/2016/03/Bobadilla-Law-logo.png norelldesign2016-11-17 01:40:182016-11-17 02:30:58Winter Driving Tips
Driving in Oregon’s winter can be challenging. Here is what you need to know before driving in snow, ice, and other slick conditions:
- Before leaving, check road conditions and weather reports on TV, radio, or websites. Visit www.TripCheck.comor call 5-1-1 9 (if available from your cell phone service provider) or 1-800-977-6368.
- Choose main routes and be rested and alert.
- Clear any snow, ice or frost from vehicle windows, lights, hood, heater, and air inlet vents (don’t forget mirrors and wipers).
- Drive with your lights on and reduce your speed.
- Be ready to handle potentially dangerous situations by thinking “15 seconds” ahead about your options, such as controlling your speed, changing lanes, or communicating with others on the road.
- Always look and steer where you want to go.
- Use brakes sparingly. If you lose traction, gradually slow down – don’t slam on the brakes.
- Use extra caution when driving on bridges, overpasses, and concrete highways; ice forms first on these surfaces.
- Slow down in advance of shaded areas (especially curves) where ice and snow are the last to melt.
- Tie a brightly colored cloth to the antenna or place a cloth at the top of a rolled up window to signal distress.